16 Apr Tax Filings and Payments
- Any affected person with a federal income tax return due on April 15th will now have until July 15, 2020 to file their return. This is a change from a prior IRS announcement.
- Affected persons include individuals, trusts, estates, partnerships and corporations.
- There are no forms that need to be filed on April 15th to receive this extension.
- Any income tax payments previously due April 15th are now due July 15th. There is no limit on amount. This is a change from an announcement made previously that only allowed a deferral on $1,000,000 (for individuals) and $10,000,000 (for C corporations).
- No specific relief has been provided on June 15th estimated tax payments yet. We will keep you posted on this matter.
- The April 15th deadline for making contributions to IRAs and HSAs has been extended to July 15th as well.
- The filing of gift tax returns and related tax payment has also been moved to July 15, 2020.
Some states have likewise responded, here are some state changes:
- AZ 2019 individual, corporate, and fiduciary income tax returns with original April 15th due dates and tax payments related thereto are now due July 15, 2020. (Note that 2020 estimated tax payment dates, including the first quarter payment due April 15th, have not changed.)
- CA 2019 returns and payments (including 2020 first and second quarter estimated tax payments), LLC taxes and fees, and non-wage withholding payments due dates are all pushed to July 15, 2020.
- CO payment and filing deadlines for all Colorado taxpayers’ state income taxes and estimated taxes are extended by 90 days until July 15, 2020.
- NM personal, fiduciary, and corporate income tax returns, return payments, and estimated tax payments, with a filing or payment due date of April 15th are postponed to July 15, 2020.
- UT filings and tax payments are extended to July 15th for individuals, corporations and pass-through entities (such as LLCs). Interest and penalties are waived for late-filed 2019 tax returns and payments of individuals, corporations and pass-through entities such as LLCs. To receive this adjustment, these returns and payments must be filed no later than July 15, 2020.
For more details on state filing and due date changes, see link below:
AICPA State Tax Filing Relief Chart for Coronavirus (PDF)